Friday, September 12, 2008

Kindermusik

Last week this lady stopped me on the street here in howell in front of the library, saw that i had a young toddler and explained that she taught a kindermusik class geared towards babies. told me the costs of classes for a semester (which i thought was a little expensive for me when story time at the library is twice a week and free) but I got excited about it, one more fun thing for me to do with Wil during the week, since its getting colder im in need of fun activities. she offered me a free class just to test it out and i jumped at the chance! Who doesnt want to make their kid smarter right? So we get there and there are only 3 other moms and toddlers in the class, which i thought was nice small class, less sharing toys for wil, equals less screaming!
Well i guess the kindermusik program is all about stimulating senses to help with development, so we were bouncing the kids on our knees, swaying side to side, does something to the inner ear, alot of sitting still for a 1 year old so it didnt work out too well, and she kept telling me to go get him and have him sit on my lap, so i chased him around for a half hour setting him back down till he kicked me enough and got away..... hhmmm? then she got out toys like bells or balls, stuffed animals, mind you this is an hour long class, we have a half hour left, so every 5 mins there was a different toy and song, then the clean up song.... this is where it got me, just when he was warming up to the bells, it was time to put them away, of course he didnt want to but she was singing the song in his face so away went the bells, then the screaming started lol, but then theres balls, then 5 mins, (no joke just 5 mins) time to put the balls away, screaming, scarfs... 5mins... screaming... stuffed pigs... 5 mins... screaming....
So, i know that theres a big hubub about all these classes to help development for you babies, but i think he is just as stimulated being thrown around by nick when he gets home and reading books and playing with toys with me during the day, and there is alot less screaming. I just think that some of these moms are pushing the toddlers a little too hard, im sure there are some benefits down the road, whatever whatever, but i think ima save the $100 and go to the library lol

3 comments:

Amberly said...

That class sounds like a bunch of who-y to me. The transitions on the toys isn't right. Toddlers/babies that age need more time with their activities and more a transitional period. I agree, you should definetely not do this class.

Amanda J said...

That sounds like it was horrible! I've never been interested in those kinds of classes for kids. Just like you said, you can do it yourself at home!

Frisbies Forever said...

Moms know. Everyone tries to make your kid fit into these boxes when it difficult for most kids and I think it causes undue stress on kids and Moms. I tried some "classes" before and I think my kids got more out of learning to play at home and learning home skills so they could be successful later in classes when school starts. I think we push kids out the doors way to quick on average when interactions with Mom and Dad and siblings are the things that they REALLY need. You are such a good Mom! I love your new apt too!